MLIS Admission 2023: MLIS is an abbreviation for Masters of Library and Information Science, which lasts one year and is taught at the postgraduate level. The MLIS programme is designed specifically for students who want to work as librarians. Students must have a comparable UG background to take this course.
- Students can apply for MLIS admission at IGNOU for January 2023 session till the expected last date of 10 February 2023. (Tentative)
Along with the management of the library, this course also provides knowledge about the fields of computer applications, the basics of computers, statistical techniques, planning, and management. Admissions to the MLIS and other library courses are done on merit because these courses are offered in only a few Indian colleges. In the month of June or July, these admissions are conducted every year.
They assist library users with doing research and locating the data they require. In their capacity as instructors, they guide users through the evaluation of search references and outcomes.
Eligibility Criteria for MLIS Admission
In most, the Universities admissions to MLIS degree program is based on merit and the merit criteria include the following conditions:
- For Mlis eligibility, Students have to clear their bachelor’s degree in library science stream or BLIS course.
- Students must have obtained a 50% score in the previous BLIS course.
- Some of University like DU conducts entrance exam for MLIS Admission.
- There is no age critria for this library course.
MLIS Admission Fee Structure
There is the average fee for the MLIS degree program is INR 50,000 to 1.20 Lakh per year. Although, slight changes in the fee structure may occur.
MLIS Admission Highlights
|MLIS Full form||Masters of Library and Information Science|
|MLIS Course Duration||Two Years|
|Eligibility Criteria for MLIS Admission||BLIS with 50% aggregate from a recognised university or college|
|Master of Library & Information Science Average Fees||INR 50,000 to 1.20 Lakh|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance Exam|
|Top MLIS Universities||
MLIS Application Form 2023
MLIS application form for the academic, and calendar year cycle is arranged online, and offline in various UGC-approved universities. The application fee for the master’s degree program in the library, and information science varies. However, it can be seen in IGNOU as INR 300.
MLIS application fees can be deposited in two modes that are online, and offline. The successful deposit of the fee allows applicants to complete the application form process before the scheduled last date. Candidates receive an acknowledgement number after the submission of the application form.
MLIS Admission Process 2023
MLIS admission procedure is followed online, and offline mode. Candidates can enrol in MLIS program by following the instructions given below.
How to Apply for MLIS Admission Online?
- Visit the MLIS Online Admission Portal of Any UGC Approved Institution.
- Register by entering your active email id, and unique mobile number.
- Log In to MLIS Online Admission Account.
- Complete mandatory sections that contain personal, educational, and other details.
- Upload scanned MLIS documents and deposit fee.
- Confirmation of application form submission can be seen on the portal.
MLIS Entrance Exam 2023
CUET, IPU CET, and BHU UET are the top entrance exam which is conducting for MLIS Admission 2023 selection. Those University offers this course on the basis of an entrance test, So students must have to appear in this entrance exam. DU conducts CUET will start soon in the month of May 2023 for all eligible students.
Why Study MLIS?
Candidates after passing the MLIS degree get a wide range of financial benefits. Most students in India choose to study this course because of the given reasons:
- The professional field after getting this degree is so relaxing as the employment associated with this degree is all related to office work.
- Individuals with this degree build a career as a librarian, Integrated Library System Application specialists, Library Attendants, Information Architects, and Junior Information Analysts.
- The salaries of these individuals are enough even at the initial and they can earn about INR 3 to 4 lacs per annum.
- Students after completing this degree can continue studies with an M.Phil or PhD degree.
- This degree imparts important management, storage, and information access skills.
NSOU MLIS Admission 2023
Netaji Subhash Open University is in Bhawanipur, Kolkata. Candidates looking for MLIS admission in Kolkata can apply for admission to NSOU. Candidates must pass a bachelor’s degree in library science with at least 50–60% marks from a recognized university in India. The duration of the MLIS program is two years, and the course fee for the MLIS program is approximately INR 80,000 at NSOU
Patna University MLIS Admission 2023
MLIS course duration is two years, and it offers by Patna University as well. To apply for the MLIS course, the candidate must have done graduation with at least 50% from a recognized university in India. The selection process for admission to Patna university is merit-based.
DU MLIS Admission 2023
DU MLIS Admission will be based on the entrance exam for the 2023-24 session. The University of Delhi also provides students with a one-year M.L.I.Sc program. Students in the Department of Library and Information Science will have the opportunity to work for six months in the Delhi University Library for a stipend of INR 7,500 per month thanks to the post-M.L.I.Sc. An internship training program that D.U. has started. Selection to the program is based on performance on the previous qualifying exam and the entrance exam (DUET). You have to be 21 to apply.
MLIS IGNOU Admission
IGNOU MLIS Admission is live for the January session 2023. The deadline for registration is 10 February 2023. Apart from many regular universities, IGNOU also offers an MLIS program in distance mode. Candidates looking for MLIS admission at IGNOU must pass BLIS or equivalent with at least 50% marks from a recognized University in India. IGNOU offers this program at a very affordable fee of INR 10,800/. There is no age limit required to pursue this course.
JMI MLIS Admission
Jamia Millia Islamia MLIS admission will start soon for the 2023 session. The tentative admission starts in the month of April 2023 and the deadline will be announced in May 2023. MCom admission will be based on the entrance exam and apart from that students have their BLIS degree or any relevant course.
What after MLIS degree course?
After earning a Master’s degree, students may also pursue a Doctorate degree. They typically work in libraries, universities, and educational institutions. They can also serve as a career consultant, a librarian, or a counsellor. Librarians and teachers make up the majority of job profiles in this industry. In addition to the commercial sector, the institutional sector offers a variety of alternatives.
MLIS Admission in Bihar
Most Universities/ colleges offer Masters of Library and Information Science (MLIS). Having a bachelor’s degree in library science with at least 50-60% marks from a recognized University in India is mandatory for candidates who apply for this course in Bihar. Admission conducted in Bihar for MLIS admission is based on Merit or Entrance Exam. Below is the list of some top universities in Bihar that offer MLIS admission.
- College of Commerce Patna
- Patna University
- Magadh University
- Nalanda Open University
MLIS Career Aspects and Scope
A master’s degree in library and information science opens up a wide range of professional options. They can pursue additional education in the same subject or get work experience in a variety of sectors. Candidates receive a variety of career offers after finishing their M.Lib.I.Sc. (Bachelor of Hospitality Management) programme. Following completion of their M.Lib.I.Sc., applicants may find employment in some of the following prominent job categories:
- Deputy Librarian: The auxiliary library team, which offers the services outlined in library policy, is supervised by a deputy librarian. Additionally, they collaborate with the educational personnel to guarantee that the library has the right materials to assist teaching and learning across the school.
- Academic Librarian: An academic librarian gathers, administers, organises, and disperses library resources to ensure that their availability fulfills the needs of all patrons.
- Electronic Resources Librarian: A librarian who specialises in electronic resources manages the entire life cycle of digital resources like e-books, films, databases, etc. They are also in charge of handling serials, which involves placing orders, keeping them updated, and collecting print and electronic editions.
- Librarian: A librarian handles a variety of duties that are crucial to the operation of a library, including purchasing, categorising, choosing, circulating, and maintaining library items. In addition, they offer readers recommendations on other literature.
- Teacher Librarian: A teacher librarian oversees and distributes educational materials for the school. To assist them and their kids in developing the abilities required to choose relevant texts, they cooperate with the school and its educators.
- Junior /Assistant Librarian: Assists with daily library tasks such as issuing new library cards, checking out library materials, receiving returns, collecting late charges, and determining outstanding materials. Returns oversee and trains volunteers to return books and materials to stacks.
The compensation of an individual is based on their characteristics and talents, just like in every other sector. Additionally, the longevity and success of a person inside a company or organization affect wages. Additionally, it varies for each job description.
Salary: The income range for a master’s degree in library and information science in India is INR 2.1 to 5.5 LPA. Graduates with skills can also land some of the highest-paying positions in the sector. This wage is not defined and may change depending on a variety of circumstances. These variables include things like region, title, degree, and employment history.
History is often known as previous data, and both libraries and museums have collections of it. The purpose of librarians and curators at museums and libraries is to transmit this information to the following generation. Programs like the Master of Library and Information Science (M.Lib.I.Sc.) offer the necessary education to pursue this professional path. One of the oldest and most significant occupations in the world, it also pays quite well.
Top Universities For MLIS Admission
- Madras University
- Utkal University
- University of Mumbai
- University of Lucknow
- Vardhman Mahaveer Open University
- Central University of Kerala
- University of Kashmir
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Central University of Haryana
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
- Maharshi Dayanand University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University
- Karnataka State Open University
- OPJS University
- Pondicherry University
- Central University of Jharkhand
- Dr BR Ambedkar Open University
- Tamil Nadu Open University
- Annamalai University
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya
- Savitribai Phule Pune University
- UP Rajarshi Tandon Open University
- Christ University
- Kurukshetra University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture Technology and Science
- Maulana Azad National Urdu University
- Chhatrapati Shahu ji Maharaj University
|Other Courses Admission 2023|
|BCom Admission||MSW Admission|
|BCA Admission||MTech Admission|
|BBM Admission||PG Diploma Admission|
|BBA Admission||PhD Admission|
|BA Education Admission||MBA Admission|
Frequently Asked Questions?
Ques 1: If I get a BA in English honours, can I do an MLIS after that?
Ans: A bachelor’s degree is required for admission to the MLIS program. It only needs that the candidate has completed school and the Bachelor’s degree in Library science according to the “10+2+3” pattern (that is, the candidate should have completed class 10, 12, and the UG degree with three or more years of education).
Ques 2: What is the Average fee for an MLIS course?
Ans: The average fee is around INR 50,000 to 1.20 Lakh for the MLIS course.
Ques 3: DU MLIS Admission based on merit or entrance?
Ans: DU conducts the CUET entrance exam for this MLIS course which will start in the month of May.
Ques 4: Can I get MLIS admission to top Universities?
Ans: Yes, As per the student’s choice and eligibility, the MLIS Degree course is available at IGNOU, DU, NSOU, Mumbai University etc.