MLIS Admission 2024: MLIS stands for Master of Library and Information Science, which is a 1 or 2-year postgraduate course related to the management of library resources and information services. The curriculum focuses on areas like information retrieval, knowledge management, archive policies, library classification, database systems, etc. To apply for MLIS, one must have completed their graduation in any academic stream. Some institutes conduct entrance tests while most offer direct admission based on graduate marks and performance in personal interview rounds. The average course fee lies between Rs 30,000 to Rs 1 lakh. On completion, one can pursue a career as a librarian, information analyst, or archive manager in various private, or government establishments.
MLIS Admission Latest Update (Feb 2024)
- Apply for MLIS program Admission at IMTS Institute before 28th February 2024. Apply Now
- Acharya Nagarjuna University has started the admission process for the MLIS program. Students must apply before 27 February 2024*. Source
- Lovely Professional University Admission started for the MLIS program in the year 2024. Apply before 26 February 2024*. Source
- Online applications are open for the MLIS program at Gopal Narayan Singh University. Students can apply before 28 February 2024*. Source
MLIS Admission 2024 Highlights
|Master of Library and Information Science
|About the Course
|MLIS is a 1-year professional postgraduate degree focusing on advanced library principles and information science practices.
|Minimum 50%-60% in Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. The qualifying percentage varies from college to college.
|CUET, IPU CET, and BHU UET
|The average fee is around INR 20,000 to INR 1,20,000. The fee structure varies from institute to institute.
|UGC and AICTE
|Librarian, Junior Information Analyst, Information Architect, Library Attendant, Integrated Library System Application Specialist, and others.
|Admission is based on both entrance exams and merit.
|Planning and Management, Computer Basics and Applications, Library Management, Research Methodology, Statistical Techniques, and others.
|Delhi University, IMTS Institute, Singhania University, Subharti University
|Tata Steel, Aon, Google, Microsoft, IBM, etc.
MLIS Admission has begun into top universities or colleges based on entrance exams like CUET, CET, and BHU. The applicants can enroll by visiting the official web portal of the desired universities. However, there are also some universities offering admission to MLIS programs based on merit scores. The applicants who have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant stream with a minimum of 50% marks in the previous examination are eligible to apply for MLIS admission.
Along with managing the library, this course also provides knowledge about computer applications, the basics of computers, statistical techniques, planning, and management. Admissions to the MLIS and other library courses are made on merit because these courses are offered in only a few Indian colleges. In June or July, these admissions are conducted every year.
They assist library users with doing research and locating the data they require. In their capacity as instructors, they guide users through the evaluation of search references and outcomes.
Note: NTA has now released PG CUET dates for MLIS Admission, Students need to appear between 15 May to 31 May 2024. The NTA Official portal also provides all the information about the PG CUET Entrance exam.
Eligibility Criteria for MLIS Admission 2024
In most, the Universities admissions to MLIS degree programs are based on merit and the merit criteria include the following conditions:
- For Mlis eligibility, Students have to clear their bachelor’s degree in library science stream or BLIS course.
- Students must have obtained a 50% score in the previous BLIS course.
- Some universities like DU conduct entrance exams for MLIS Admission.
- There are no age criteria for this library course.
MLIS Admission Fee Structure
There is the average fee for the MLIS degree program is Rs 30,000 to Rs 1 lakh per year. Although, slight changes in the fee structure may occur.
MLIS Admission 2024
MLIS Admission has been started in many top Universities and Colleges for the session 2024. The online application form has been Invited on the Official web portal by the universities. Interested and eligible candidates can enroll by visiting their desired universities’ admission portal. MLIS admission is based on an entrance exam in many universities but some Universities offer admission based on Merit Score.
The Master of Library and Information Science, or MLIS, advanced degree admission for the 2024 session is yet to commence in private, government-supported universities, colleges, and institutions nationwide. The one-year postgraduate degree program admission may start in a couple of days.
Candidates will get admission opportunities to the MLIS master’s degree program at Patliputra University, Jadavpur University, and numerous others. The admissions or application form will remain open for the MLIS program either online/offline.
To get admission opportunities to the Master of Library and Information Science program, candidates need to hold a bachelor’s degree. The registration or application form fee for the MLIS program is INR 250 to INR 1000 in approved universities in India.
- Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
- The minimum score should be 40-45 percent in the qualifying degree.
- Both entrance and qualifying examination scores are taken as a way to shortlist candidates.
- CUET, CET, BHU UET, and numerous other entrance examinations help in the process of offering admission.
- The final call on admission or confirmation of admission is made once documents and registration fees are received.
MLIS Application Form 2024
MLIS application form for the academic and calendar year cycle is arranged online, and offline in various UGC-approved universities. The application fee for the master’s degree program in the library, and information science varies. However, it can be seen in IGNOU as INR 300.
MLIS application fees can be deposited in two modes that are online, and offline. The successful deposit of the fee allows applicants to complete the application form process before the scheduled last date. Candidates receive an acknowledgment number after the submission of the application form.
MLIS Admission Process 2024
MLIS admission procedure is followed online, and offline mode. The instructions are given below. The process is simple to apply for MLIS admission 2024. Candidates can enroll in the MLIS program by following the instructions given below.
How to Apply for MLIS Admission Online?
- Visit the MLIS Online Admission Portal of any UGC-approved institution.
- Register by entering your active email id, and unique mobile number.
- Log In to MLIS Online Admission Account.
- Complete mandatory sections that contain personal, educational, and other details.
- Upload scanned MLIS documents and deposit fee.
- Confirmation of application form submission can be seen on the portal.
MLIS Entrance Exam 2024
CUET, IPU CET, and BHU UET are the top entrance exam which is conducting for MLIS Admission 2024 selection. Those University offers this course based on an entrance test, So students must have to appear in this entrance exam. DU will conduct CUET in May 2024 for all eligible students.
MLIS Admission 2024: Top Universities in India
University of Delhi:
It offers a 2-year MLIS course to provide learning to Data Management, User Studies, Open Access Publishing Models, etc.
Eligibility: BLIS from a known institute.
Admission deadline: March 2024.
Career include Academic Librarian, Public Librarian, School Librarian, and Information Analyst.
Manipal Academy of Higher Education:
It gives admissions to the MLIS course which teaches about Library Automation, Digital Library, and Information Management.
Eligibility: BLIS with 50% score.
Admission deadline: from April 2024 to June 2024.
Career s include System Librarian, System Technologist, Data Manager, and Library Consultant.
University of Calcutta:
It provides learning to book chains in libraries, information access & equity, and social issues in information. Eligibility: BLIS in any specializations.
Admission deadline: May 2024.
Careers include Digital Humanities Librarian, Indexer, Editorial Librarian, and Corporate Librarian.
Banaras Hindu University:
Its MLIS course emphasizes Library Management, Computer Basics and Applications, Planning and Management, and Statistical Techniques.
Eligibility: BLIS from a known institute.
Admission deadline: from May 2024 to July 2024.
Careers include Manuscript Curator, Data Librarian, Rare Books Librarian, and Consultant.
The MLIS degree at Jadavpur University covers Information processing and retrieval, Information sources and services, and Library and Information Science.
Eligibility: BLIS in any specializations.
Admissions deadline: start in March 2024 and will end in May 2024.
Careers include Library Consultant, Special Collection Curator, and Data Librarian.
This course is designed to make students skilled in managing, collecting, and retrieving different books and make them eligible for working in this versatile field.
Why Study MLIS?
Candidates after passing the MLIS degree get a wide range of financial benefits. Most students in India choose to study this course for the given reasons:
- The professional field after getting this degree is so relaxing as the employment associated with this degree is all related to office work.
- Individuals with this degree build a career as a librarian, Integrated Library System Application specialists, Library Attendants, Information Architects, and Junior Information Analysts.
- The salaries of these individuals are enough even at the initial and they can earn about INR 3 to 4 lacs per annum.
- Students after completing this degree can continue studies with an M.Phil or PhD degree.
- This degree imparts important management, storage, and information access skills.
NSOU MLIS Admission 2024
Netaji Subhash Open University is in Bhawanipur, Kolkata. Candidates looking for MLIS admission in Kolkata can apply for admission to NSOU. Candidates must pass a bachelor’s degree in library science with at least 50–60% marks from a recognized university in India. The duration of the MLIS program is two years, and the course fee for the MLIS program is approximately INR 80,000 at NSOU
Patna University MLIS Admission 2024
MLIS course duration is two years, and it is offered by Patna University as well. To apply for the MLIS course, the candidate must have graduated with at least 50% from a recognized university in India. The selection process for admission to Patna University is merit-based.
DU MLIS Admission 2024
DU MLIS Admission is based on the entrance exam for the 2024 session. The University of Delhi also provides students with a one-year M.L.I.Sc program. Students in the Department of Library and Information Science will have the opportunity to work for six months in the Delhi University Library for a stipend of INR 7,500 per month thanks to the post-M.L.I.Sc.
An internship training program that D.U. has started. Selection to the program is based on performance on the previous qualifying exam and the entrance exam (DUET).
MLIS Admission at IGNOU
Apart from many regular universities, IGNOU also offers an MLIS program in distance mode. Candidates looking for MLIS admission at IGNOU must pass BLIS or equivalent with at least 50% marks from a recognized University in India. IGNOU offers this program at a very affordable fee of INR 10,800/. There is no age limit required to pursue this course.
JMI MLIS Admission
Jamia Millia Islamia MLIS admission will soon start for session 2024. The University is expected to start the admission process soon. MCom admission will be based on the entrance. To apply for the MLIS program at JMI, candidates must earn BLIS, or its equivalent, from a recognized University in India.
What after the MLIS degree course?
After earning a Master’s degree, students may also pursue a Doctorate. They typically work in libraries, universities, and educational institutions. They can also serve as a career consultant, a librarian, or a counselor. Librarians and teachers make up the majority of job profiles in this industry. In addition to the commercial sector, the institutional sector offers a variety of alternatives.
MLIS Admission in Bihar
Most Universities/ colleges offer Masters of Library and Information Science (MLIS). Having a bachelor’s degree in library science with at least 50-60% marks from a recognized University in India is mandatory for candidates who apply for this course in Bihar. Admission conducted in Bihar for MLIS admission is based on Merit or Entrance Exam. Below is the list of some top universities in Bihar that offer MLIS admission.
- College of Commerce Patna
- Patna University
- Magadh University
- Nalanda Open University
Assam Women’s University MLIS Admission
The Masters of Library and Information Science program is available at Assam Women’s University. The University will soon open its admission window for the new academic session. Assam University MLIS admission is based on the entrance exam. The entrance exam questions will be filled with reasoning, English, and basic computer questions. The duration of this master’s program is two years and four semesters.
A master’s degree in library and information science opens up a wide range of professional options. They can pursue additional education in the same subject or get work experience in a variety of sectors. Candidates receive a variety of career offers after finishing their M.Lib.I.Sc. (Bachelor of Hospitality Management) program. Following completion of their M.Lib.I.Sc., applicants may find employment in some of the following prominent job categories:
- Deputy Librarian: The auxiliary library team, which offers the services outlined in library policy, is supervised by a deputy librarian. Additionally, they collaborate with the educational personnel to guarantee that the library has the right materials to assist teaching and learning across the school.
- Academic Librarian: An academic librarian gathers, administers, organizes, and disperses library resources to ensure that their availability fulfills the needs of all patrons.
- Electronic Resources Librarian: A librarian who specializes in electronic resources manages the entire life cycle of digital resources like e-books, films, databases, etc. They are also in charge of handling serials, which involves placing orders, keeping them updated, and collecting print and electronic editions.
- Librarian: A librarian handles a variety of duties that are crucial to the operation of a library, including purchasing, categorizing, choosing, circulating, and maintaining library items. In addition, they offer readers recommendations on other literature.
- Teacher Librarian: A teacher librarian oversees and distributes educational materials for the school. To assist them and their kids in developing the abilities required to choose relevant texts, they cooperate with the school and its educators.
- Junior / Assistant Librarian: Assists with daily library tasks such as issuing new library cards, checking out library materials, receiving returns, collecting late charges, and determining outstanding materials. Returns oversee and train volunteers to return books and materials to stacks.
The compensation of an individual is based on their characteristics and talents, just like in every other sector. Additionally, the longevity and success of a person inside a company or organization affect wages. Additionally, it varies for each job description.
The income range for a master’s degree in library and information science in India is INR 2.1 to 5.5 LPA. Graduates with skills can also land some of the highest-paying positions in the sector. This wage is not defined and may change depending on a variety of circumstances. These variables include things like region, title, degree, and employment history.
History is often known as previous data, and both libraries and museums have collections of it. The purpose of librarians and curators at museums and libraries is to transmit this information to the following generation. Programs like the Master of Library and Information Science (M.Lib.I.Sc.) offer the necessary education to pursue this professional path. One of the oldest and most significant occupations in the world, it also pays quite well.
Top Universities For MLIS Admission
Frequently Asked Questions?
Question 1: If I get a BA in English honors, can I do an MLIS after that?
Ans: A bachelor’s degree is required for admission to the MLIS program. It only needs that the candidate has completed school and the Bachelor’s degree in Library science according to the “10+2+3” pattern (that is, the candidate should have completed classes 10, 12, and the UG degree with three or more years of education).
Ques 2: What is the Average fee for an MLIS course?
Ans: The average fee is around INR 50,000 to 1.20 Lakh for the MLIS course.
Ques 3: DU MLIS Admission based on merit or entrance?
Ans: DU conducts the CUET entrance exam for this MLIS course which will start in May.
Ques 4: Can I get MLIS admission to top Universities?
Ans: Yes, As per the student’s choice and eligibility, the MLIS Degree course is available at IGNOU, DU, NSOU, Mumbai University, etc.