PhD Admission 2023: A Ph.D., or Doctor of Philosophy, is a degree that focuses more on research than academics. PhD course duration is 3 to 5 years at Universities and colleges. For eligibility criteria, a master’s degree or a Master of Philosophy with at least 50% to 55% for the PhD program. In order to be admitted to Ph.D. programs, you will have to take a PhD entrance exam. Admission will be granted based on the candidate’s performance in the entrance exam followed by counselling.
PhD Admission: Latest Update
- Osmania University PhD Admission 2023 is open on University website. Students can check here. Source
- Kalyani University PhD Registration 2023 starts from 30 January 2023 to 12 February 2023 for session 2023-24. Students have to submit their registration forms before the deadline. Source
- MGU PhD Admission 2023 is open for academic session 2023-24 at the online portal. The deadline for PhD registration is 02 February 2023. Source
Punjab University PhD Admission will Start on 14 February 2023 for the upcoming session. Students can check more details. Check Here
- IIT Gandhinagar Admission is going on for 2023 session students can apply till 13 February 2023. Source
- Mumger University PhD Admission 2023-24 is live on the official portal. Students can submit their application form by 28 February 2023. Source
- Manonmaniam Sundaranar University (MSU) has started the PhD registration for the January session 2023. The last date to apply is 16 January 2023. Source
- UGC NET PhD Entrance exam 2023 will be conducted between 21 February 2023 to 10 March 2023. Source
- Registration is live for a PhD course at AAU Assam Online. The deadline for the application form is 07 February 2023. Source
- NSOU PhD Admission 2023 is started for the Upcoming year cycle 2023-24 through the official website. The last to apply is 08 February 2023. Click Here
- The Himachal Pradesh University PhD application portal is now open till 07 February 2023. Students have to fill application form before the deadline. Click Here
- Calcutta University PhD Admission 2023-24 is open for the 2023 session. Students can apply till 17 February 2023. Source
- Avinashilingam University PhD Admission is live for the 2022-23 January Session. The deadline for registration is 10th January 2023. Click Here
- Periyar University PhD registration portal is open, for the December session. The last to apply til 27 January 2023. Click here
- IGNOU PhD Entrance Results will announce soon in the last week of January. For more information
An annual entrance exam for PhDs is conducted by the CSIR UGC NET, twice a year. Ph.D. entrance exams include IIT JAM, NPAT, CSIR UGC NET, and UGC NET. From institute to institute, Ph.D. programs in India vary in cost. According to the experience and skill of the Ph.D. graduate, one’s salary may vary greatly. A student will be offered PhD Admission after he/she meets the following criteria:
- In India, various institutes offer a doctorate degree and each of these has a different fee structure. An average PhD admission fee range is INR 15000 to 250000.
- Students must have a master’s PG degree to taking admitted to the PhD course.
- MTech and ME degree-holder students are also eligible for PhD admission
- PhD Admission will be based on the entrance exam for the 2023 session.
- For PhD Admission, Universities and colleges will conduct CSIR-UGC NET, UGC Net, DBT JRF Biotech Entrance Test, JRF-GATE, and IISC PhD Entrance Exam. After this Students have to attend an interview.
- A valid Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) score is required for applicants seeking a PhD in engineering or technology.
Fee: The average fee for PhD course is Rs 15,000 to Rs 20,000 per year. PhD Fees also vary from University to University.
PhD Admission 2023-24 Highlights
|P.h.D Full form||
Doctor of Philosophy
|Ph.D. Duration||Full-time PhDs usually last for three or four years, while part-time PhDs can take up to six or seven.|
|Ph.D. Eligibility||Two years Master OR M. Phil Degree from any accredited Indian or Foreign University in the relevant field.|
|Doctor of Philosophy Average Fees||15,000 to 20,000 per year|
|PhD Admission||Entrance Exam + Interview Round|
|Ph.D. Entrance Exams||UGC Net Exam|
|CSIR-UGC NET exam|
|Top Ph.D. Colleges||Indian Institute of Technology Indore|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology|
|Banaras Hindu University|
|Delhi Technological University|
|Decision Sciences (decision theory and decision analysis)|
|Ethics and legal studies|
|Health care management|
Why Study Ph.D.?
- There are many perks for students who take a Ph.D. degree. Through this degree, students can widen the scope of their particular chosen subjects and increase their knowledge level.
- Students who get enrolled in the Ph.D. program do all the work of designing, organizing, and managing the research tasks individually, and this way they become enough able to be very good at managing higher positions.
- When the research Ph.D. is completed students are successfully called doctors and researchers and they get a good research profile to get more opportunities.
- The levels of jobs offered to a Ph.D. holder are higher than those provided to the master’s or bachelor’s degree holder and eventually the salaried or Ph.D. holders are more. Their salaries are INR 6 to 9 lacs per annum.
PhD Admission 2023
Ph.D. is a doctorate-level degree program. Only candidates who have passed their master’s degree in the specialized stream can apply to get admission to the Ph.D. However, the PhD Admission will require entrance tests at the university, and national level like UGC-NET, CSIR NET, PET, JEST, etc. Qualified candidates in the entrance exams can appear in the university counseling session.
Ph.D. has various specializations in departments like arts, & humanities, commerce, science, management, etc. The specializations include English, history, political science, commerce, business administration, computer application, geography, economics, Hindi, and more.
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2023
There are 19 departments that offer Ph.D. programs at the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. Under certain conditions, it is possible to complete the course within two years if the necessary conditions are met. There is a minimum grade point average of 60% required for admission to the Ph.D. program at IIT Kharagpur if you do not have a master’s degree. An interview and a written test are used to determine whether an applicant will be admitted to the program.
IGNOU PhD Admission 2023
The Indira Gandhi National Open University has started the registration process for appearing in the entrance exam for getting admission to the IGNOU Ph.D. courses for the January 2023 session. The university would be conducting the entrance exam on 08 January 2023 and the students passing the exam would then be eligible for appearing in the next process for PhD Admission.
Calicut University PhD Admission 2023
Calicut University will start PhD registration on 19 May 2023 (tentatively) for the 2023 session. PhD admission will be based on an entrance exam at this University. Those students who qualify UGC-NET, UGC-CSIR-NET, SLET, and GATE, are eligible for this entrance. Students can register themselves at www.phd.uoc.ac.in and the application form fee is Rs 850. Calicut University also offers many specializations in PhD and some of them are mentioned below the section.
- PhD in Zoology
- PhD in Statistics
- PhD in Political Science
- PhD in Physics
- PhD in Microbiology
- PhD in Mathematics
- PhD in History
- PhD in Hindi
- PhD in Geology
- PhD in English
- PhD in Education
- PhD in Economics
- PhD in Computer Science
- PhD in Commerce
- PhD in Chemistry
- PhD in Psychology
- PhD in Music
- PhD in Library & Information Science
- PhD in Journalism & Mass Communication
- PhD in Geography
- PhD in Folklore Studies
- PhD in Environmental Science
Types of PhD Admission 2023 in India
The Ph.D. program in India can be classified into two basic types. The two types are the full-time Ph.D. and the part-time Ph.D.
Full-Time PhD Admission
Full-time PhDs are regular Ph.D. programs. The duration of these programs ranges from 4 to 6 years. Compared to other Ph.D. degrees, the cost of a full-time Ph.D. program is the highest. Self-financed candidates, Institute Research Scholars with Teaching Assistance, and Government/Semi-Governmental Fellowship Recipients prefer pursuing full-time Ph.D. programs.
Part-Time PhD Admission
There is the option to enroll part-time as a Ph.D. student. Part-time Ph.D. degrees are mostly granted to candidates whose employers are reputed research institutions, academic institutions, and industries nearby the campus. In part-time Ph.D. programs, it takes seven to eight years to complete all the academic credits and other requirements as full-time students.
A limited number of classes will be required for students doing a part-time Ph.D. It is necessary to have at least one year’s work experience and a recommendation letter from an employer to pursue a part-time Ph.D. The focus of part-time Ph.D. students is more on research for the company than on personal research.
PhD Admission: Top Specializations
When Students have the ambition of pursuing a doctoral degree, they are presented with many options as there are a number of fields under the Ph.D. program. Following is the list of the top courses for Ph.D. with information:
- Ph.D. in Engineering: The highest degree available in engineering is a Ph.D. Although a doctorate is not necessary for many engineering fields, only Ph.D. aspirants and alumni are given access to research possibilities. The degree program includes a number of options for individual study, including chemical engineering, computer engineering, mechanics, and materials science. Some institutions provide a general degree route as an alternative to concentrating on certain expertise. Engineering technicians, project managers, and directors of engineering positions are all available for Ph.D. applicants.
- PhD in IT: PhD in IT is a well-known doctoral course with 4 to 6 years. This PhD Course admission is fully dependent on entrance exams. GATE, UGC-NET, and CSIR-UGC-NET are the entrance tests which are conducted for PhD IT course enrollments. In this course, students learn about programming, Data processing, telecommunications, Statics and many more topics.
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology: A career as a researcher or pharmacist in numerous health institutions is paved with a Ph.D. in pharmacology. Ph.D. programs provide thorough instruction in the investigation of the effects of medications and chemicals on biological things. These programs develop in neuroscience, physiology, cell biology, and molecular biology, training degree applicants to specialize in their fields of study. While entry-level income can be typically based on the workplace, mid-career salaries can be very substantial.
- Ph.D. in English Literature: This degree prepares students to understand and write about great literary works by teaching them about the chronology, contextual factors, and significance of English literature. Participants in programs frequently decide on a particular subfield to concentrate on. The literature of a particular region, such as the United States or Great Britain, or a particular time span, such as the Renaissance, may be the focus of the specialization. People with this degree often have excellent writing abilities that are useful in many different fields of employment. In addition, scholars hone their research techniques, argumentation abilities, and historical and cultural understanding.
- Ph.D. in Medical: Candidates who want to specialize in medical research and development can benefit from the program’s assistance in developing their fundamental competencies. Doctorates have the chance to start their careers in hospitals, research and innovation, pharmacy, medical pharmacology, biomedical companies, and other places after successfully completing the program. The program’s objective is to provide students with the communication, analytical, and competency abilities they need to successfully complete their research degree.
- Ph.D. in Agriculture: Advanced research in plants, animals, and farming is available through a Ph.D. program in agriculture, with a distinct Research & Development emphasis. This program involves conducting research, and it concludes with a thesis that is submitted to academic authorities. The course of the program includes a study of agriculture practices and processes, from agriculture administration and verdict to the science of plant and animal growth, with an emphasis on different crops, local awareness, and rural prosperity.
PhD Admission Procedure 2023
The PhD admission Procedure is online and based on the entrance exam. Certain Universities in India provide merit-based entries for this doctorate degree but in most other Universities these admissions are based on entrance exam scores. These admissions to Ph.D. are based on qualifying for the entrance exam among any of the IIT JAM, GATE, UGC NET, UGC CSIR, and so on.
How to Apply for PhD Admission 2023?
- Students first open the concerned university website and download the form.
- After checking the eligibility criteria start filling out the form.
- Fill out the form for the entrance exam as well and download its admit card.
- When the entrance exam is qualified students must appear in the interview.
- Final selections will be given to students for qualifying exams and interviews.
PhD Admission Benefits
In India and around the world, a Ph.D. is one of the most prestigious degrees. Therefore, PhD admission may be a suitable qualification for this career path. It is possible to pursue a Ph.D. at a number of schools and institutions. Among the benefits of enrolling in the course are:
- A PhD is an advanced degree that indicates a candidate’s expertise in a particular field. It helps the candidate narrow their focus and advance their academic research.
- The Ph.D. is one of the most prestigious degrees in the United States and abroad. A Ph.D. will help Aspirants advance in their careers.
- It also offers a variety of employment opportunities.
What are the Career Aspects & Scope of PhD Admission?
Ph.D. candidates in India and other nations have been forced to reconsider their motivation for entering academia. A person’s academic abilities prepare them for a wide variety of difficulties in a number of spheres of society. After getting a Ph.D., the most logical career path is to become a professor, a researcher, or a startup supervisor. Following is a list of the options one has after earning a degree:
- Academia: After finishing the Ph.D. program, academia has always been a preferred career path. The job description under this is comparable to the person’s Ph.D. work. Teaching, delivering lectures, creating PowerPoint slides, conducting research, running an office, occasionally representing the university, and conducting conferences and seminars on a certain topic are all part of the job. The academic world is for you if you enjoy conducting research and imparting knowledge.
- Consultant: Most consulting businesses only hired MBAs ten years ago. Now, circumstances have improved! The proportion of PhDs employed by these companies has significantly increased as a result of the technology-based corporate sectors’ continual expansion. These days, management consulting businesses are primarily searching for individuals with an orbital perspective of the issues. More consideration is given to Ph.D. holders because they have a significant technical foundation and are equipped precisely to tackle challenging situations.
- Government Sector: If you have the ambition of being in service to the country then you can opt for jobs provided by the government sector. You might be employed by one of the ministries, where you would be required to comprehend difficult issues and aid decision-makers. Another option is to use your sharp mind to rise through the ranks of a political party and finally, ideally, become a politician to support your nation. The post of military analyst is yet another well-liked one. In addition to this choice, there are other chances and jobs with the state and federal governments. Additionally, there are possibilities for those who work for the government as civilian employees.
- Entrepreneur: The partnership between academia and start-ups has only been stronger over the previous decade. In the modern world, everyone wants to stand out from the competition, and Ph.D. holders want to use their education to the fullest extent feasible. For this, most degree holders choose to launch their own firm. Many students would rather work for a start-up and gather experience before starting their own business than become entrepreneurs.
PhD Admission Salary
The salary of a Ph.D. varies in India based on factors such as experience, area of expertise, and location. Starting salaries range from 3.9 lakhs per annum to 29 lakhs per annum. Some of the highest-paying Ph.D. programs are in legal, economics, biotechnology, etc. Depending on the field of specialization, the salary can also vary. Below are a few top profiles you may find useful.
|PhD Salary Range||Amount|
|Highest Salary||INR 29 LPA|
|Lowest Salary||INR 1.9LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 5.7 LPA|
|Designation-wise salaries for Ph.D. graduates|
|Assistant Professor||INR 2.3 LPA|
|Research Scientist||INR 7.9 LPA|
|Principal Scientist||INR 5 LPA|
Top Universities Offering PhD Admission
Note: Dates are tentative & subject to change. Visit the University’s official website for more information regarding admission.