PhD in English: This well known and highly professional Degree in the doctoral stream. PhD or Doctor of Philosophy in English is a 3 years duration course. It provides research, and understanding of the works written in the English language in different eras, from ancient Greek to post-modern times.
PhD in English in India develops an understanding of the theme, tone, manner, background, perception of the writer, and so many other aspects of the published works. A research student is able to critically analyze and defend any work, he or she has gone through with the component ability.
PhD program in English is accessible for enlightenment in three ways, including online, part-time, distance learning, and regular education. Students can go with any of the aforementioned modes to offer themselves the chance to socialize with the world of English literature, and linguistics.
PhD in English Admission Latest Updates
- Vidyasagar University is accepting online application forms for PhD course English Admission. 12 September 2023 is the last date for admission. Source
- NTA has released the entrance exam dates for Phd in English admission to DU, JNU, BHU, and BAOU for the session 2023-24, and the last date to apply is 22 September 2023. Source
What is PhD in English?
PhD in English Literature is a research or doctoral degree program that has a duration of three years. It is offered at all colleges and universities for students who have completed their advanced degree in English literature or a linguistics-based program. During the period of six semesters, students need to study subjects thoroughly affected by novels, non-fiction, plays, sonnets, poetry, short stories, etc.
In this article, one shall learn not just the admission-related factors of the PhD English Literature program but also other equally important points in the name of course benefits, and career scope. We will reach the gate of conclusion by answering the following questions.
- Where to apply for admission to PhD in English Literature?
- What will be the minimum eligibility criteria for admission into PhD English course?
- Does it require any entrance examination to get admission?
- Does the fee remain on the same side at each university for PhD English course?
PhD in English Admission 2023
The PhD admissions process in the English program has been opened at various deemed-to-be, private, state, and other universities in the 2023 session. The final date to submit applications may go up to the last month of the year (depending on the university). IGNOU, Delhi University (DUSOL), Lovely Professional University, TNOU and many Universities are offering this PhD in English Admission.
How to do PhD in English? Firstly, Aspirants who are anxiously waiting to study doctoral level programs in English are needed to select options from the offered three modes of learning, including online, regular, or distance learning. The upcoming three sections will put forward a detailed view that may help applicants get out of doubt about where to apply.
PhD in English Literature
A PhD, or Doctor of Philosophy in English Literature, program lasts a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years. Students who have an enthusiasm for studying English-language literature should take this course. Research researchers who complete their research, thesis, and associated courses in English are awarded a PhD in English literature. Researchers who pursue a Ph.D. in English explore numerous textual analysis techniques and probe the depths of literature.
The PhD in English literature course covers the history, interpretation, and use of English language and literature from throughout the globe. Modes of Writing, American Literature, Critical Essays, Victorian Literature, Creative Writing, Women’s Writing, and English Poetry are a few of the subject areas that must be taken.
To be accepted into the institution, the applicants must adhere to the correct admissions procedure. You must go to the official website of the colleges or universities that you want to attend, get the application form, fill it out, and mail it to the institution. After that, you must take the entrance exams like CSIR UGC NET, ICAR AICE JRF/SRF, and UGC NET, and get the required minimum score to pass.
Candidates must also earn a bachelor’s degree and have at least a 55% overall average in both their 10th and 12th grades. For subsequent admission, students must also finish their master’s degree in the discipline of English. After passing the entrance examination, you will be contacted for a personal interview, which will be followed by a number of further rounds. Additionally, whether or not the applicant is given a seat is determined by the interview.
After completing a PhD in English literature degree successfully, students have a lot of opportunities to pursue other career paths. They may work for media companies, publishing houses, colleges, print shops, and other organizations. Candidates may also publish their own books, novels, or short stories as well as work as writers for art galleries or museums.
PhD in English Online Admission 2023
Online PhD in English admission has commenced at numerous universities such as SP Jain University, Mysore University, and so on. The course is available for admission until the last week of April. Therefore, applicants must visit the aforementioned universities portal as soon as possible to not miss out on the admission opportunity for the 2023 session.
The application fee for the online doctoral degree program in English typically ranges from INR 500 to INR 3,000. Admission has merely started for selected candidates who have performed at academic, and entrance test levels.
Advantages of Online PhD in English?
Some beneficial reasons why one must enroll in the online research degree program for the PhD in English are given below.
- Self-directed learning.
- No requirement for the hardcopy of course contents.
- Around-the-clock accessibility of audio-visual materials.
Distance PhD in English Admission 2023
Admission to the distance learning universities in the country for the PhD in English program has begun. Applicants may apply to PhD degree program in English in the universities such as Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), Christ University, Kakatiya University, etc.
The application form for the distance education program at the research level is normally available for submission in online, and offline modes. Applicants may select either an in-person or digital mode to submit their admission/application asap. The application fees for the distance education program are between 350 and 1500 rupees.
PhD English Admission Process 2023
It suggests that every student who wants to apply for a PhD English course admission in 2023 must read the following instruction which is listed below. Also, interested students have to fill out the admission form properly with all details.
- Please reach the university website.
- Open the enrollment window.
- Complete the “registration form”.
- Use credentials to access the admission form.
- Please enter personal, and academic information.
- Fill up the entrance examination marks (if needed).
- Upload scanned copies of original documents (PDF/JPEG).
- Pay the admission fee, and download the receipt.
What are the advantages of a Distance PhD in English?
Students who pursue the distance education program of a PhD in English get the following benefits.
- One can study anywhere, and anytime irrespective of place, and time boundations.
- Eliminate the daily hustle and bustle.
- Learn time management expertise.
- By pursuing the coursework, students may also become familiar with how technology is used.
Regular PhD in English Admission 2023
The regular PhD in English degree admission has already started for the 2023 academic session. The deadline to complete the admission process at most of the universities may end on 30 October 2023.
Which are the top universities for PhD in English? Aspirants are invited to apply for admission at Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University, University of Lucknow, Ashoka University, Presidency University, etc. The admission door at the above introductory university has commenced in two ways; online, and offline. The registration fee for the PhD regular degree program can be seen moving around in universities from INR 450 to INR 2,500.
Advantages of Regular PhD English Literature
Admitted students in the regular PhD degree program in English have been able to obtain some benefits, as shown in the following points.
- Campus-based learning and development of collaborative skills.
- The classroom environment remains active and vibrant.
- Opportunity to interact with fellow students, and teachers.
- Real-time help from teachers and faculty members.
Eligibility for PhD in English
In order to get admission to the Ph.D. in English degree program in any form of education (distance learning, online, and regular), aspirants must meet the set eligibility criteria below.
- A Master’s degree in English or linguistics or equivalent with at least 55% marks from an accredited institution or university.
- MPhil or equivalent degree with a minimum score of 55% is also acceptable.
- Special categories including Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), and Other Backward Category (OBC) typically receive a relaxation of 5% on the overall qualifying marks.
PhD in English Entrance Exam 2023
Candidates cannot get admission to the doctoral-level degree program by skipping the entrance examinations. Therefore they need to pass commonly used or university-approved entrance tests as mentioned in the pointers below.
- University Grants Commission-National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET) entrance exam is conducted every year by the National Testing Agency (NTA). The popular examination is organized in online mode.
- Ph.D. Entrance Test (PET) is a typically operated entrance examination at Pune University, Patna University, Amity University, and so on.
- Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET) is administered and held by the NTA in the computer-based test (CBT) mode.
PhD in English Important Dates
|Entrance Exam Name||Application Close||Exam Date|
|NTA PhD Entrance Exam 2023||8 September 2023||
|UGC-NET 2023||September 2023||
|PET 2023||30 August 2023||
15 and 16 October 2023
|CUET 2023||11 May 2023||
1 to 10 June 2023
|GATE 2024||13 October 2023||3, 4, 10, 11 February 2024|
PhD in English Course Fee Structure
The fee structure of the Ph.D. program in English specialization at approved universities, from a distance or on a regular basis, differs. Variations in the research degree fee structure at respected universities can be found in the following manner.
- The 3-year PhD in English degree program fee at the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is INR 16,800.
- Per-semester fee for the doctoral degree in English at Ashoka University is INR 12,500.
- The full-time PhD in English course fee at Christ University is 30,000 Indian rupees.
- The tuition fee at Era University for the Ph.D. degree program is 50,000 Indian rupees.
PhD English in India: Top Colleges/Universities
|Top Colleges||Top Universities|
|St Stephen’s College, Delhi||IIT Delhi|
|Fergusson College, Pune||Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Aligarh|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi||University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram|
|St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai||IGNOU|
|Mithibai College of Arts, Mumbai||Jadavpur University, Kolkata|
|Abeda Inamdar Senior College, Pune||Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi|
|Hindu College, Delhi||Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi|
|Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune||Amity University, Noida|
Career Scope of PhD in English
After completing the doctoral program in the English specialization, it is possible for students to unlock standard job options for themselves. The government sector, private organizations, the writing industry, journalism, and other fields typically present job opportunities for Ph.D. graduates.
Is a PhD in English worth it? The English research degree possession allows candidates to enter the world of professions in any of the following roles including English professor, public relation officer, translator, journalist, copywriter, editor, and so on. What is the average PhD English salary? The approximate package that an employed professional may earn in one of the aforementioned fields is seen between INR 5.45 LPA and INR 13.98 LPA.
PhD in English FAQs
Question 2: What is the salary of PhD in English?